Saturday, March 8, 2008

Let it Snow!

Well we didn’t have quite the snow I was hoping for. Strangely, others in our small town got several inches while I’d say we had less than one. I got all the basic needs for our big snow in…you know, bread, milk, frozen pizza, chili fixins, and cookie dough. But without the snow it just wasn’t quite the same. I just felt full and fat.

But whenever I see snow I am always in awe of how beautiful it makes everything. It evens things out. The suburban neighborhood, the big city, the country farm, the ghetto, they all look the same under a solid blanket of purest white snow. That must be why God says in Isaiah 1:18 Though your sins were as scarlet, they shall be white as snow. It’s easy to picture when you have seen the pure white snow cover over the ugly, broken things of the world.

But what’s even better is that our sin isn’t just covered, it will actually be removed. John 1:29 tells us that when John the Baptist saw Jesus coming he said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world.” Psalm 103:12 says, “as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.” The Bible and the language don’t really make a distinction between our sin being covered and our sin being removed because they both accomplish the same thing…our salvation, our adoption as sons and daughters, our ability to come into the presence of a perfectly holy God. But somehow the idea of it being removed is an amazing thought to me. I can’t imagine what it’s like to actually have sin not be a part of me at all.

I remember a tract I saw as a young girl. It showed a young man standing before the throne and a movie screen showing his entire life. Of course there was much remorse over all of the things he thought no one saw, all the sin in his life. Even his thoughts were there for all to see in little bubbles over his head. I remember trembling in fear at the thought of having everything I ever did played out on the big screen. Well, I don’t know what heaven will be like, but I know it won’t be like that. Romans 8:1 says, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” If there is a movie screen when we get there, the only life we will see is the life of Christ. Praise God and let it snow, let it snow, LET IT SNOW!

No comments: