Sunday, March 16, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Kids say funny stuff all the time. I try to write the really memorable ones down in a journal for my girls but today just took the cake. Big Sister said so many funny things in the span of two hours my cheeks hurt from smiling. But first you need some background.

This past week we were riding in the van and listening to a kid's praise CD. We were listening to a song that went:
We fall down, we lay our crowns at the feet of Jesus
The greatness of mercy and love at the feet of Jesus
And we cry holy, holy, holy
We cry holy, holy, holy
We cry holy, holy, holy, is the Lamb
Okay, now if you read my earlier blog on forgetting lyrics you know I'm no expert but Big Sister heard me singing loudly and corrected me by saying, "No mom! It's hony, hony, hony." Yes, with an N. I tried to argue with her but she wasn't having it and all week she's been singing hony, hony, hony. Another thing that happened this week is that she's learning the ten commandments at school. This week she learned Don't commit adultery. So naturally, I asked her, "What does that mean?" Her answer, "It means that when a mommy and daddy are married that they always stay together and love each other and don't go apart." Well, I guess that was right in a sense...right for a 4 year old anyway. That brings me to today.

Today I took Big Sister to see The Music Man at The Coach's school. In the earlier part of the show, the main character, Marion, and her mother have a little spat. Big Sister looked at me and loudly whispered, "They are talking mad like me and you in the car when I said hony, hony, hony and you said holy, holy, holy. Remember when we were talking mad at each other?" Obviously, her perception of arguing is "talking mad". No comment. Anyway, at one point, I don't even know what they said on stage but she leaned over and said, "Did he say crap? I think he said crap." I didn't even know she knew the word crap. Later in the show when Harold Hill and Marion the Librarian met at the footbridge, Marion had changed into a white dress. Big Sister, in her loud whisper again, said, "Look! They're getting married!" About a minute later, when they parted ways, she exclaimed, "No! They can't go apart! That is adultery momma!" I mean, what do you do? I stifled a laugh and said, "SHHHH! It's okay." All throughout the show she initiated all the applause for each number, horse-laughed whenever something funny happened, and at the end turned to me with a head tilt and big smile and said, "I just LOVE happy endings." I just wanted to squeeze her. At the end of the show she wanted to go up front and tell all the actors hello, so I walked her up to the front. The actors were gathering on stage for some pictures. She was in awe of them and they were all very sweet to her. As we left the auditorium she said, "Mom, they all thought I was SOOOOO cute." I know, I have my work cut out for me, but attending the musical with her was such an experience and I can't wait to take her to another one.

On the way home, I asked her what her favorite part was. She said, "When they got married. And I know what your favorite part was mom. The kissing part. Because you and daddy kiss all the time." I just agreed. After all, there's no "talking mad" with her. And I think it's pretty great that she thinks momma and daddy are kissing all the time. As for the rest of it, I have no idea where she gets it. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How Funny!!! I had the same adultery conversation with Katie Beth and she had the same definition almost word for word! I figured the same, good enough for now. What a sweet, sweet story!!!

Montee said...

Cute story, Tracy. I remember a lot of those times with my two. It just seems like one funny thing after another comes out of their mouths. I could tell some good ones too. There have been times when they have had me rolling! Then there are things they say that you want to laugh at but you know that you shouldn't. I had to turn my head a lot too so I could chuckle without them seeing me. As for the crap word, I can guess where that came from. The fun is just beginning!

Amy Lafayett said...

Too cute. I can hear her saying that now. See. . . she is thinking and processing things! You'd probably be surprised to know what all goes on in that little head of hers!