Friday, January 16, 2009

Cream, Glorious Cream

I made it through the week of black coffee and have really been savoring drinking it the way I like it again. I hate to admit this but it really did require some self-discipline for me to drink it black. A couple of times I really thought, "This is stupid. Who cares about cream and sugar? This is a dumb exercise, I'm going to do something else." But that's what I always do. I'm very persuasive when I want to talk myself out of doing something I don't want to do.

My favorite thing about this exercise was that it started my day. First thing every morning I was reminded that I desire self-discipline. It made me think about how I need to rely on the Lord for everything in my day. I would wake up and before I ever got out of bed I would first think, "coffee" and then my next thought would be, "Lord, I need you." I'd spend a few minutes talking to God about my day and then roll out of bed to get my cup of hot dirt.

But it's not about the coffee. It's about developing self-discipline and I've had an "Aha!" moment that I'll share in my next post. The coffee was the specific challenge but I've been trying to exercise self-discipline in many areas. For now, I figure it's time to up the ante and do another, slightly more challenging, exercise. I've struggled to think of something good. I really want to do something this time that matters. Something that might stick or at least be a baby step in the right direction. Something that will get me what I really want in the long run. So I'm asking you to vote. I'm not sure if there are enough of you reading to make this work but I'm going to throw out three ideas and have you vote. Whichever exercise gets the most votes will be the one I tackle. So here it goes...

1. Leave at least one bite of anything I eat. (I'm a plate cleaner so this could be a real challenge)
2. Get up at 6:00am whether anyone else is up or not...and NO NAPS. (I'm a night owl)
3. Spend NO money for one week. (Not even $1 for coffee at the church's coffee stand)

Okay, so my parents are laughing right now. Which give me another good idea. As a second part to the challenge, I vow not to complain...at all...no matter what...at least not out loud...or at least not about the exercise anyway. Can you see why I need this self-discipline? Anyway, voting will end on Sunday night (in case I need to get up at 6:00am Monday) and then I'll get started. Thanks for your support. I love hearing your words and how you are being challenged. Hang in there!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Number 3. I think that would be the hardest, hands down. Why don't you do them all? If I vote for all three and no one else does then I guess you have to...so, I change my vote-

1, 2 and 3! :)

Anonymous said...

you are cracking me up! i would vote for 2 but that would be hardest for me though. but it may be good to change it up so it is not a always a morning thing so maybe 1 or 3.

Amy Lafayett said...

I vote for number two. Great habit to get up early and before everyone else.

Susan said...

I vote for number 1- I think maybe because my husband was raised to be a plate cleaner too and I think that would be really hard to overcome. But I like all three of them. Congrats on your first exercise!! That definitely took self discipline- I can't imagine drinking my coffee black.

Jennifer said...

3!
I already get up at 6:00 a.m. and it's way overrated. By the way, I laughed out loud when I read "hot dirt."

Montee said...

I think I will vote for #3. #1 is going to be hard so maybe you should wait until you accomplish one more feat. If Phillip reads this, he would say a definite NO for #2 because of the "No naps" part. He takes a nap EVERYDAY and it is actually a very healthy habit if you have the time. Y'all have a good weekend! Congratualtions on getting through the week with your hot dirt.

Julie Shaver said...

Wow! All 3 really speak to me, but especially 1 and 2. I am a serious plate-cleaner (I even clean other people's plates, when necessary). I have often told myself I need to be getting up at 6:00 just to get myself "ready for the day" before the boys get up. Montee has a good point, but I still say go for #1.

Gigi and Grandy in Katy said...

Sorry, Tracy, but I just caught with reading my blogs. Maybe I won't be too late.

Knowing me, maybe you aren't surprised that I vote for #1. Food is the issue with me, and just think of all the calories you are leaving on your plate and not adding to your hips. Plus, there wouldn't be enough left in the bites to send to a starving child somewhere anyway.

This Is Stupid said...

#3!#3!#3! Are we voting here? Check out my blog and you'll see why #3 is my choice!!