Monday, December 1, 2008

So Much To Blog About, So Little Time

Okay, so I've been pathetic with my blog lately. It's not that there's been nothing blog worthy, it's just that there's been no time to do it all justice. I've got three must tell stories in the works. Today you will get Thanksgiving, next it will be my 20th high school reunion (yes, I'm that old), and finally, decorating for Christmas.

So...Thanksgiving. I've turned making Thanksgiving relaxed and low key into an art form. It is my goal in life that holidays be as stress free and Norman Rockwell as possible. We're staying home and whoever wants may come and join in. We eat what we want and don't feel the need to eat "thanksgivingy" things we don't like. And we don't have a formal time of stating what we're thankful for, but it does come up in regular conversation. No pressure. Just, you know, conversations like this:

The Coach: I'm so glad we don't have to go anywhere today.
Mother-In-Law: Yeah, me too, and thank the Lord for Honey Baked Ham.
Grandmama: And I just LOOOOVE those sweet potatoes.
Me: Well thank you grandmama.
Little Sister: I'm sleepy.
The Coach: I'm so glad we don't have to go anywhere today.

So, you see, there are general expressions of thankfulness all the way around.

But after stuffing myself (pun totally intended), I was thinking of my 20th high school reunion. The Coach and I would be leaving Friday morning and my mom, my sister, and her husband would be staying with the girls overnight. I wasn't concerned about the girls, I admit, I was concerned as to whether or not I could still fit into my pants. But chubby or not, I knew I would be one of the happiest girls there. How could I not be? More about the reunion later.

Friday morning, we left for the airport at 7:30am. We had plenty of time and were sipping coffee in the terminal when the phone rang. It was my mother. Already. Here's how the conversation went (basically):

Me: (laughing) Having a problem already?
Mom: (not laughing) Everything is fine. The girls are fine. Everything is fine.
Me: (not laughing anymore) Ooookay.
Mom: I just wanted to call in case one of your neighbors called you to see what was wrong.
Me: (dead silence, heart pounding)
Mom: The fire department is here.
Me: What?
Mom: I was trying to clean your oven.
Me: What?
Mom: I set your self-cleaning oven...and...well...something caught on fire.
Me: What?
Mom: (in a rush) Erin called 911 and then it went out and then we hung up but then they called back and we said everything was fine and then they said they wanted to come check it out anyway so they're here now and they're checking it and the girls are fine and everything's fine.
Me: So did the smoke alarm go off?
Mom: No.
Me: Is the oven broken?
Mom: No.
Me: Why are you trying to clean my oven? I've only been gone an hour and you've almost burnt the house down?
Mom: I don't know. You know, the firemen said those self cleaning ovens are so dangerous. They said it was a good thing I didn't open the door or the house would be full of smoke. But they're down there now with some big fans and they're checking it out and everything's fine. I don't think the girls even know anything happened. I was just afraid your neighbors would call you and tell you something was going on at your house and I didn't want you to worry.
Me: You didn't want me to worry? Huh. Well, that's what you get for cleaning.

Well, turns out everything was fine. I did get one more call from my sister about 15 minutes later because the TV wouldn't work. Turns out the HD cord unplugged when she was vacuuming. So I gave her the speech about how they were supposed to be watching the kids, not cleaning. I swear, my house is pretty decent. It's not like I live in filth. I don't know what they were thinking but I did come home to all the laundry, dishes, and floors clean. I can't speak for the oven. I guess they reminded me how thankful I am to have a home. And I'm definitely thankful to have family who loves me and doesn't mind too much being the object of my blogging sarcasm. Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

Montee said...

This is good. Can't wait to hear about the reunion.! I haven't had much time to blog either.

Gigi and Grandy in Katy said...

Tracy, I check your blog regularly because I love the way you write. Please feel free to go to mine anytime although I'm an amateur compared to you.!

BTW I have a new email address, stowerscr@sbcglobal.net. I'd love to hear from you sometime!

Missing you in Texas!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious! Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad you didn't have to go anywhere for Thanksgiving. It makes for a REALLY long day. :) Ha!

Anonymous said...

Ok, ok. In my defense, the reason the TV needed to be on was "Big and little sister" wanted to watch their on demand shows!! You should also give Uncle Pete some credit too because I think they liked playing with/on him better than mom and I!

P.S. Regarding the oven, at least our intentions were good! :)

Anonymous said...

Tracy, I feel for your mom and sister! My self-cleaning oven did the exact same thing when Ella was about 2 mos. old. Of course, Mike was at work and I was home with the baby and dog. I grabbed both of them, the phone, and left the house. I called 911 b/c I didn't dare try to stay in the house with this tiny baby and see why in the world there were flames in my oven. I swear just about every emergency vehicle in Franklin came. We had police, several fire trucks -- including the ladder truck -- and an ambulance. When Hailee got home from school, she was mad that she missed all the excitement. My oven has only been cleaned once since then, and it was when the girls and I were not here! I left Mike home with specific instructions on cleaning it and NOT to open it should he see flames. Too bad you weren't next door to experience the excitement!