Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Jesus on Politics

I was listening to a Bible study my dad taught last week to a group of men at his church. He taught on Matthew 25:15-22

Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. "Teacher," they said, "we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren't swayed by men because you pay no attention to who they are. Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay taxes to Caesar or not?" But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, "You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? Show me the coin used for paying the tax." They brought him a denarius, and he asked them,"Whose portrait is this?" "Caesar's," they replied. Then he said to them,"Give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

The Pharisees opposed the Roman government while the Herodians were Jews who supported it. The only reason these two groups would come together to question Jesus was to set a trap. Both sides, much like we see today, believed that God was on their side. Basically what they wanted to know was, whose side are you on Jesus? Jesus gives a lot of "yes" and "no" answers in the Bible, but not here. It's not really a "yes" or "no" question. But His answer amazes them. He looks at the denarius, a coin representing a day's wages, and says, "Whose portrait is this?" Caesar's image was on the coin. When he says, "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's," He's essentially saying, "Give Caesar that which bears his image and give to God that which bears His image." The coin bore Caesar's image...what is that which bears God's image?...you and me...that's what we are to give him...ourselves.

We may not agree with our leaders, but our hope is not in our government. We need not despair if our candidate loses, nor become too proud if he wins. "...for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Romans 13:1. His will, whatever it is, will be accomplished. And we should pay close attention. Exercise your right and privilege to participate in government, but understand that our God is sovereign. We are made in His image. We belong to Him. The ultimate authority. The King of Kings. And we already know that in the end...He wins.

6 comments:

Montee said...

I agree with you that God is in contol of all and no matter who wins the election, He does win in the end. I will always serve Him and no other. It just saddens me that our country, it appears, is going farther down a path against God. No nation can survive that. Our new leaders in all areas of our federal government, believe in some very immoral things and these things will be promoted. There is a lot of fear and people are putting their faith in a man instead of God. This arrogant man thinks he is a god. I am amazed how people have been blinded. We Christians will have a real fight ahead of us because we are about to see some hard times. We must remember that God will be by our side and will carry us to the end.

Tracy, people here are buying up a lot of guns and ammo. We have a friend who knows two gun distributors and they told him that they are running out of their supply of guns. I have also heard people here say that they are taking their money out of the banks. There is also talk about Texas seceding. Texas is a Republic and has it written in the state constitution that the state can lawfully secede from The Union. It's crazy.

Anonymous said...

I really appreciated your words, Tracy. You definitely have a gift in your writing, and I always look forward to reading your blogs.
~Julie

Jennifer said...

I was encouraged to see this posted today. This is the attitude I hope we can all take now that election day is over. I'm tired of the slander and the unkind words that I've heard from both sides. I have hope because I believe in an all-knowing, omnipotent God. He is infinitely more powerful than man. Hope you have a great week!

Jenny Neeley said...

You're keeping the main thing the main thing, Tracy. I appreciate the truth in your post. That being said, I cannot agree more with Montee's comments. I am grieving heavily for the people of our country right now...can't get it off my mind and off my heart, and Blake continues to be awakened to pray in the middle of the night for the same thing.

Montee said...

I got everything out on my blog last night. Yesterday I felt terrible but today much better. My blog sounds kind of negative but I'm not. I just wrote what I was feeling. Today is a new day and I am ready to fight for what I believe in and fight for the Lord with a positive attitude. I keep thinking of the hymn, "Onward Christian Soldiers." That will be my new theme song! Tracy, your inspiration is helping. Keep writing.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your encouraging words. I am praying this will shake the bedrock of the sleepy saints and call the church to pray for ourselves because we are in a mess!
Laura Frost